For 4 portions
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or coconut oil)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 tablespoon Garam Masala
2 teaspoons coriander
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 cup grated carrots
1 cup tomato pure
Some fresh tomatoes
1 or 1/2 can coconut milk (depending on how you like)
1 cup red lentils, rinsed and picked over
2 cups spinach, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon fine grain salt
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan (or skillet) over medium-high heat.
Add onions and carrots, a pinch of salt, and sauté for about 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 more minute. Add ginger and spices and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add diced tomatoes and coconut milk and stir.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add lentils cover, and cook on low until tender, about 20 minutes, stirring every so often.
- At this point if the liquid has absorbed but the lentils are still not tender, add some extra water and cook on low until lentils are tender.
- Remove from the heat and fold in chopped spinach.
- Take a taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Serve with rice and some fresh spinach on top.
Inspired by: http://www.theironyou.com/2016/12/vegan-red-lentil-and-spinach-tikka.html